Using the cloud for IoT
Edge computing requires a secure, rugged, small, powerful, low powered server that can handle an environment where air conditioning doesn’t exist and a new market for servers residing outside of the data centre.
In the fast-changing world, we live in today businesses are reducing their data centre footprints and adopting a cloud model, where information is collected, stored and processed. It isn’t quite like that as the data generated requires far bigger transmission pipes than are currently available or companies can afford. Although data centres are shrinking due to advances in technology, applications and computing are now being taken out of the data centre and deployed in the field as edge computing devices. Many of these applications such as IoT, mobile devices, smart devices, AI, gaming, Machine Learning, content caching etc all require the information to reside locally where demand is localised and this requirement has led to edge computing servers to provide compute, storage and network connectivity on the edge.
Edge computing is the delivery of various computing capabilities with the intent of improving performance, reducing operating costs, and increasing the reliability of vital applications and services. Optimise IoT system performance and costs with edge computing. Businesses are introducing Edge computing to improve operational efficiencies and support smart systems, IoT and big data initiatives.
Digital transformation and the Internet of Things (IoT) are introducing unprecedented scalability and performance challenges for network, storage and system architects. Vast numbers of smart devices, sensors, wearables, autonomous machines, connected vehicles are generating an ever increasing variety, volume and velocity of data that must be processed and analyses quickly, reliably and cost effectively.
Edge Computing Can Help
- Improve the performance and scalability of intelligent systems by offloading certain data collection, processing and analysis functions from applications running in the cloud
- Accelerate the performance of delay-sensitive local applications by analysing data locally and avoiding WAN latency
- Contain network costs by reducing upstream traffic across WAN links (and mobile backhaul networks in communications service providers scenarios)
- Extend the resiliency and survivability of smart systems by distributing compute functions across the network and eliminating single points of failure
- Enable simpler, less expensive IoT devices by shifting endpoint processor and memory capacity to edge gateways and servers.
Edge Computing in an IoT System Architecture-IoT – Edge Gateway – Edge Servers – Data Centre/Cloud
- Edge computing allows data from IoT devices, sensors and applications to be analysed and acted upon locally before it is transmitted to an enterprise data centre or the cloud.
- Edge Servers compute elements that process and analyse. Edge Servers perform real time analytics, execute local business logic and filter out data that has no intrinsic historic value or global significance.
- Cloud/Data Centre Apps – The business applications and services running in the enterprise data centre or in the cloud. Examples include business intelligence, data analytics and visualisation tools used by data scientists, business users and technical professionals.
Trial our Cloud Storage
Please complete the form found here.
Thanks for reading